Skip to main content

Burning the candle at both ends

This is a picture of us writing. Notice how there's only one of us at the computer? I'm on a beanbag. Phil does the writing, and for those of you who know me well, I talk. I'm actually taking random photos with my new CanonA430 (I highly recommend it) while Phil taps away.

Lately, we've been pleasantly surprised by our work. Twelve years on it looks like we have a worthy mani character (Katy) and a good, solid story.


This is how we got to the screenplay on this particular rewrite:
  1. We used the Clare Dobbin Matrix to analyse the existing story
  2. We broke the story down into about 16 sequences, tracking our main character
  3. We titled each sequence (for main character) and made micro-notes on 3 x 5 cards
  4. We discussed the hell out of each sequence from the main character's story POV
  5. We attacked the screenplay scene by scene
It's taken us about 3 weeks. That's 2 full days writing per week. It's nice to be able to say that. Feels like we've achieved something.

So far we're up to page 20 and we haven't lost sight of our main character, Katy.

My Life otherwise . . .

I get up at 6am, check my Curtin students' online assignments and queries, do website updates, meet with potential clients, chase existing ones for unpaid invoices, continue working on current client websites, mark student assignments, eat stuff and finally write with Phil until . . . well . . . now roughly. Which gives me 6hrs sleep.

All I want to do is sleeeeeeeep.

I wonder what it would be like to die?

I read somewhere that if humans were immortal, the average age would be about 200 years (based on the number of fatal household accidents alone).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've got a really good idea for a film . . .

Phil commented on that last piece. I forget that people actually read these things. I assumed you were all lazy and illiterate ;) Yes . . . as Phil says . . . we have taken time to write this screenplay. And it's depressing to think about it. Sometimes I feel like Marshall in Absolutely Fabulous . Marshall went to Hollywood 20 years ago to develop a screenplay with a studio. People in various episodes ask him how it's going. He usually has an actor attached, or a big producer, or an out-of-work director . . . No doubt Jennifer Saunders has met a few of these people . The industry is teaming with writers working on a screenplay. Until a screenplay becomes a film - it's only a blueprint - not considered an art form in itself. And yet it takes such a long time to write one. When people ask me what I do - I answer web designer . It's my knee-jerk, "pat" response. It's also less problematic and gets me more $work than if I say, "filmmaker".

The Three by Five Card Index System

Here's another approach to writing your screenplay. The screenwriter's friend. Introducing the infamous Three by Five Card Index System . Wow! How can I get one? In my case - I made it. What it amounts to is this: Three 90cm x 40cm sheets of chipboard hinged together so that the whole thing stands like a concertina on a table or floor. Every 5cm or so down, I have drawing-pinned small cardboard hinges (triangles if you will) made from old file dividers. These become placeholders for your cards. A couple of bunches of 3 inch by 5 inch index cards (available in packs of 100 at any newsagency) and there you have it. A sure fire way to make your screenplay bubble to the top of the pile . . . Not. But it's a tool and writers need their tools. Cool. How does it work? As you can see - each act has three mini-acts in it (fitting in with Australian script theorist Linda Heys' Second Act Story ). Or rather - going one step further and suggesting that all three acts have a begi

The Drug That Killed River Phoenix

This article was going to be about a new drug I'm on called Duomine , but as I knew very little about River Phoenix (aka the vegan Jimmy Dean ) I thought I'd swat up on what's really going on behind that brain-worm ditty. I'll talk about Duomine another time. The song line I'm on the drug that killed River Phoenix is from Aussie alternative band TISM's tasteless 1995 single (He'll Never Be An) Ol' Man River - and it's a bit cheap, frankly. The single's cover shows a mock-up of River's tombstone and was released shortly after his death. TISM were well-known for criticisin Imperial Hollywood and US pop culture, but they were masters when it came to borrowed interest marketing. More about these guys later. River Bottom's Awkward Life In 1944, River's mother Arlyn was born to a Jewish family living in the Bronx. When she finished school, she married a computer programmer but quickly grew bored of her secretarial life. In 196